- Jun 8, South West Chief Executives
- Jul 13, South West Councils
- Sep 28, South West Employers Panel
- Oct 5, South West Chief Executives
- Nov 16, South West Councils
- Mar 14, Employers Panel
- Mar 14, South West Employers Panel
South West Councils Showcase Improvement and Efficiencies at Local Government Annual Conference
South West Councils are showcasing improvements in performance and services delivered by local authorities who have received support from the Improvement and Efficiency Partnership and South West Councils in Casebook 2010, a new publication launched at the annual LGA Conference in Bournemouth this week (6 – 8 July).
Casebook 2010 highlights how Councils in the South West have demonstrated a great deal of innovation and collaboration leading to real improvements and substantial savings by accessing support from South West Councils and the Improvement and Efficiency Partnership (SW IEP).
The document which can be downloaded from www.swcouncils.gov.uk includes examples of improvements made across a number of sectors, including the Total Place initiative, Driving Value for Money, Improvement and Efficiency in Social Care, Strengthening Corporate Capacity, Supporting a Sustainable Economy and Fire and Rescue.
Specific examples include:
• Establishing an insurance buying framework for councils to save a minimum of 20 per cent on their insurance premiums.
• Authorities who have joined forces to deliver a shared revenue and benefits service and halving the time taken to process benefits claims.
• Councils awarded for their commitment to developing their councillors to improve service delivery and achieve corporate aims and objectives.
• A council committed to getting good value for money on consultancy services, interim appointments and temporary agency staff teaming up to make predicted savings of £3.6 million over 3 years.
Cllr Alan Connett, Chair of South West Councils and Leader of Teignbridge District Council said:
“Having elected Members involved at the strategic level helps ensure that South West IEP is responsive to the changing needs and priorities of all councils. We have adopted a flexible approach to planning and delivery - adapting to address the challenges posed by the recession, and the opportunities offered by initiatives like ‘Total Place’.”
Cllr Angus Campbell, Chair of South West Leaders and Leader of Dorset County Council said:
“We firmly believe that improvement is best led by the sector working together, and that local authority Members and their partners know best how to improve outcomes for their communities. Local authorities across the region are working with partners and other public service providers to find new, more efficient ways of delivering services for communities.”
Casebook 2010 was launched by Cllr Alan Connett and Cllr Angus Campbell in Bournemouth at the annual Local Government Association conference and is now available to download at www.swcouncils.gov.uk
Notes to Editors:
Casebook 2010 is available to download here as a complete document or in case study chapter format, a limited number of printed copies have been made available for distribution at the LGA conference and other key events.
For more information contact:
Drew Aspinwall, Principal Officer: Communications and Marketing email@example.com / 01823 425265.