Events & Training
We offer a range of support to equip Members and Officers with the knowledge and skills they need to meet the needs of their communities.
Training and Event schedule, click here...
Forthcoming events are:
- May 8, Introduction to Coaching Supervision
- May 11, SW Coaching and Mentoring Pool: Group Supervision
- May 17, Positivity through Change and Transformation: Annual Office Managers/PAs, EAs and Administrators Conference 2018
- Jun 8, Job Evaluation - GLPC Scheme
- Jun 12, Local Government Structure
- Jun 12, Political Awareness
- Jun 18, DCATS Intelligence & Investigative Procedures
- Jun 21, Job Evaluation - NJC Scheme
- Jun 21, SW Coaching and Mentoring Pool: Group Supervision
- Jun 26, South West Coaching and Mentoring Conference 2018
- Jun 27, DCATS Product Safety
- Jun 29, Developing Your Leadership Potential
- Jul 11, Understanding Disciplinary and Grievance Investigations
- Jul 19, SW Coaching and Mentoring Pool: Group Supervision
- Jul 20, Essential Skills for the 21st Century Councillor
- Aug 16, SW Coaching and Mentoring Pool: Group Supervision
- Sep 5, Mentoring/Coaching
- Sep 5, Coaching & Mentoring
- Sep 5, Executive Coaching & Mentoring
- Sep 10, Introduction to Coaching
- Sep 19, Coaching Supervision
- Sep 20, SW Coaching and Mentoring Pool: Group Supervision
- Oct 2, Successful Recruitment
- Oct 3, Management of Volunteers
- Oct 4, South West Challenge 2018
With coaching programmes featuring strongly in organisational strategies and change programmes, we have qualified and experienced coaches, who can provide individual coaching packages but we have also established the South West Coaching Pool to help organisations build internal coaching capacity and to enable managers to access coaches from other partner organisations with a range of different experience and expertise.
For more information click here.
South West Councils: Working for the South West
South West Councils
Bringing together local authority Leaders from the County, Unitary and District councils in the South West
Epaycheck: National Pay Benchmarking Service
A secure pay benchmarking facility, developed for the public sector by the public sector. Launched to local authorities across the country in 2012, the service has already attracted more than half of our councils to register for this data sharing service.
Epaycheck is delivered through a nationwide network of Regional Employers' Organisations who provide the front end service in their localities and actively work with their users to collect, monitor and quality assure the data available to report against.
Senior Pay Executive Summary
The executive summary of a review of chief executive and chief officer roles, released on 4th September, is available on our website. The full report to assist in decision-making, benchmarking, policy development and workforce planning will be available to Epaycheck subscribers shortly.
For more information on Epaycheck .....
HR and Employment Services
South West Councils handle thousands of queries every year from local government employers and other Associate member organisations. This means that we have an unrivalled grasp of issues affecting local government at both national and local level.
Because all our team members are professionally qualified experienced specialists, we bring a wealth of expertise to bear on the issues facing Local Authorities.
We work at all levels with both Elected Members and Officers to clarify and resolve confidential personnel issues, as well as providing day-to-day advice on routine HR matters.
An office hours service providing expert advice and support on issues including:
We offer confidential advice on salary levels, terms and conditions, termination agreements. Independent support for Appraisal of Chief Executives. Supporting development of new political arrangements such as Joint Chief Executive and Shared Management Teams.
We offer expert advice on recruitment advertising; salary setting; management of assessment centres; psychometric testing.
Job Evaluation / Pay and Grading Consultancy
We are experts in the use of the national Joint Council (NJC) and greater London Provincial Council (GLPC) job evaluation schemes. We offer specific training, independent technical advice and best practice associated with local government pay and grading reviews.
We offer independent investigations, advising at disciplinary or grievance hearings and representing employers at Employment Tribunals.
We offer a mediation service to aid the resolution of complex issues. We can also support authorities to design and implement an in-house mediation strategy.
National Pay and Pensions Negotiations
South West Councils represent the South West on the National Association of Regional Employers, who role is to act as a sounding board and conduit for the Local Government Employers on national pay and pensions issues.
South West Councils also forms the Employers' side of the Regional Joint Consultative and Negotiating Body, the South West Provincial Council.
Policy Development and Review
We offer a service to create new policies or assess existing policies to ensure compliance and currency.
Conferences, Events and Networks
We offer a range of topical conferences, events and networks to meet the changing needs of the local government community and promote the sharing of good practice.