Events & Training
We offer a range of support to equip Members and Officers with the knowledge and skills they need to meet the needs of their communities.
Training and Event schedule, click here...
Forthcoming events are:
- Nov 19, Pension Managers' Conference
- Nov 19, Coaching Master Classes Day
- Dec 12, Mediation for Line Managers
- Jan 7, Coaching Supervision
- Jan 22, Mentoring/Coaching
- Jan 22, Coaching & Mentoring
- Jan 22, Introduction to Coaching
- Jan 22, Executive Coaching & Mentoring
- May 21, Annual Office Managers/PAs, EAs and Administrators Conference 2020
- Jun 25, South West Coaching and Mentoring Conference 2020
- Oct 8, South West Challenge 2020
Councillor Development Services
The Councillor Development category of learning events has an ever-changing agenda to support the Councillor’s role by providing a broad range of skills, knowledge and understanding.
Qualifications and Accredited Provision
A suite of 3 accredited awards offering a development programme that enables progression and follows the natural developmental activities as Councillors become more established and experienced in their role and functions. The 3 accredited awards are supported by the Institute of Leadership & Management (ILM) and reflect the Induction stage, Making Decisions on Delivering Community Services and Improving Community Services.
This programme provides a good foundation for those new to the mentoring role or for more experience mentors wishing to understand and develop a professional approach to mentoring. It is suitable for anyone who wants to refine their techniques and gain a nationally recognised qualification.
A qualification programme delivered specifically for Elected Member Champions, non-Champions, Theme Advisors and Members who informally support specific interest areas. This programme explores the role of Member Champion as part of the community leadership role and is accredited by Edexcel at Level 3.
A qualification designed specifically for Elected Members to develop essential expertise and to gain a nationally recognised qualification in leadership and community competence. The qualification has been accredited at Level 4 by Edexcel.
Charter and Awards
Assessment and support for achieving the Charter which helps Councils adopt a structured approach to Councillor development. This includes workshops, consultancy, feedback on Action Plans, information about Charter Plus and 360o appraisals for Members.
Member Development Awards Event
An event to reflect on and celebrate the achievements of individuals and local authorities and to reward the commitment and dedication to developing skill, knowledge and performance. Individual Councillors will be awarded certificates for qualifications gained during the year and Councils achieving Charter for Member Development status will be presented with the Awards.
- Appeals Panels - for Elected Members
- Chairing Meetings
- Community Leadership Practitioners Award - Health & Wellbeing
- Community Leadership Practitioners Award - Commissioning
- Community Leadership Practitioners Award - Police & Crime Panels
- Councillors and Social Media
- Localism 1: Ethics and Governance
- Localism 2: Planning
- Localism 3: Housing
- Public Speaking
- Speed Reading Tips and Techniques
- Understanding Community Leadership
- Understanding the Role of the Frontline Councillor