HR and Employment Services
South West Councils has extensive experience of providing both employment support and training opportunities .
Our team of professionally qualified and experienced specialists offer the following services:
- Employment Advice and Consultancy
- Recruitment and Staff Development
- Job Evaluation / Pay and Grading
- Disciplinary Investigations
- National Pay and Pensions Negotiations
- Conferences and Workshops
Our services are summarised in a leaflet which can be downloaded here
Regional Policy and Strategy
On Tuesday 6 July 2010 Regional Strategies (including Regional Spatial Strategies or RSSs) were revoked with immediate effect.
Click here for more information.
Community Leadership Awards
Community Leadership Awards have been designed specifically for Councillors and other Community Leaders:
Introduction - Induction
Councillors attend their Council’s induction programme and are then assessed by us through a Reflective Review and Professional Discussion Interview. (We can also offer feedback gathered from the assessments on how effective the Councillors have found the Induction programme if required)
Intermediate – Managing Meetings and Public Speaking
Councillors build on their knowledge and experience through taking a leading role in public speaking and managing meetings. These skills are enhanced through attending learning events arranged by their Council or external organisations or through carrying out their role and are then assessed by us through observation and the delivery of a presentation
Advanced – Community Leadership Case Study
Councillors develop their skills and knowledge on a specific theme such as migration, sport, housing, health, social care through attending formal learning events arranged by their Council or external organisations and are then assessed by us through a case-study project.
For more information, click here or call Ann Collins on 01823 270101
Working for the South West
South West Councils brings together the South West local authorities in the region to:
- Provide a voice for constituent local authorities on major issues affecting the South West
- Influence Government policy as it affects the region
- Encourage partnership working between local authorities and other organisations and agencies in the South West on policy issues where a broader regional approach is required
Lobbying for the South West
- Universal Credit letter
- Funding for Personal Care at Home
- Disabled Facilities Grant Allocation
- Promoting the Prompt Payment Scheme
- Promoting Public Sector Apprenticeships
- Concessionary Bus Fare for the over 60s
We have carried out a number of policy reviews in the past looking at the needs of the South West and how they are being met. For example, in 2009 we undertook a policy review to explore arrangements for children and young people (aged 16 to 18) who are not in (or at risk of leaving) education, employment or training (NEET).
The report and recommendations have now been published.
For more information click here.