Events & Training
We offer a range of support to equip Members and Officers with the knowledge and skills they need to meet the needs of their communities.
Training and Event schedule, click here...
Forthcoming events are:
- Mar 7, Apprenticeships in our Region - Sharing the Learning
- Mar 10, SW Coaching and Mentoring Pool: Group Supervision
- Mar 16, SW Coaching and Mentoring Pool: Group Supervision
- Apr 20, SW Coaching and Mentoring Pool: Group Supervision
- Apr 25, Mentoring/Coaching
- Apr 25, Coaching & Mentoring
- Apr 25, Executive Coaching & Mentoring
- Apr 25, Resilience and Wellbeing at Work
- Apr 26, Aspire South West Strategic HR and OD Business Partner Programme
- May 8, Pension Administration
- May 12, SW Coaching and Mentoring Pool: Group Supervision
- May 15, Introduction to Coaching
Disclosure Barring Online Service
This Service provides a secure online environment with our partners NEREO, to provide a speedy, economical and high quality DBS service based on absolute accuracy and efficiency that will enhance your safeguarding process.
Online DBS enables organisations with a legitimate requirement to ask individuals to apply for disclosures, to gain access top this information quickly and efficiently.
South West Charter for Member Development
What is the Charter?
The Charter for Member Development has been developed by the nine Regional Employers Organisations in partnership with the Local Government Association.
The Charter supports Councils to adopt a structured approach to councillor development and support, and to building elected Member capacity, which is essential for any council dedicated to meeting the needs of its community.
What is Charter Plus?
Charter Plus was introduced in 2009 as an optional, further level that builds on the main Charter requirements. It is intended for councils that have already been awarded the Charter and want an additional challenge to further improve their Councillor development and support arrangements.
Charter Plus reflects the growing interest in the wider Councillor development debate. It challenges councils to make further achievements in terms of Councillor support, promoting local democracy as well as in their approach to Councillor training.
The nine regions together with the Local Government Association have worked together to agree what is good practice, and have produced minimum standards to meet Charter requirements. Influenced by the Investors in People standard, the South West Charter for Member Development has four key principles:
1. Commitment to Member development
2. Strategic approach to Member development
3. Learning and development is effective in building capacity
Why sign up to the Charter?
Any local authority dedicated to meeting the needs of its community must be committed to developing its elected Members. By signing up to the Charter, your Council will be demonstrating its commitment to supporting and developing its elected Members, in line with what is recognised as good practice.
What do Councils have to do?
- Gain political and managerial leadership commitment to the Charter principles
- Self –assess against the standards and grade performance
- Identify areas of strength and areas for improvement
- Produce an Action Plan to meet the improvement areas
- Arrange a ½ day, on-site visit for assessment and verification
What support is available?
South West Councils can offer up to one day consultancy support prior to assessment to help you to prepare both the self-assessment document and the ½ day assessment visit.
Can other organisations sign up?
Yes, increasingly other organisations such as the Fire & Rescue Service and National Park Authorities are signing up to the Charter princples. Although the terminology used in the documentation might focus on political and council references, the standards and the assessment process remains the same for these organisations.
Authorities in the South West that have achieved and signed up to the Charter
Achieved Charter Plus Status
Exeter City Council
Devon County Council
East Devon District Council
Achieved Charter Status
South Somerset District Council
South Gloucestershire Council
West Dorset District Council
Bristol City Council
Weymouth & Portland Borough Council
Torridge District Council
Mendip District Council
Mid Devon District Council
Forest of Dean District Council
Bournemouth Borough Council
Dorset County Council
Gloucestershire County Council
North Dorset District Council
Plymouth City Council
Sedgemoor District Council
Taunton Deane Borough Council
Charter Achievers - Case Studies and Contacts
For further information on the Charter and any funding opportunities that may be available, please contact Fay Edwards on 01823 270101 or email email@example.com