HR and Employment Services
South West Councils has extensive experience of providing both employment support and training opportunities .
Our team of professionally qualified and experienced specialists offer the following services:
- Employment Advice and Consultancy
- Recruitment and Staff Development
- Job Evaluation / Pay and Grading
- Disciplinary Investigations
- National Pay and Pensions Negotiations
- Conferences and Workshops
Our services are summarised in a leaflet which can be downloaded here
Education HR Advice
South West Councils have responded to a request from Local Government Employers (LGE) and has taken over the responsibility for answering enquiries and advice on School Teacher Pay and Terms and Conditions of Employment.
Community Leadership Awards
Community Leadership Awards have been designed specifically for Councillors and other Community Leaders:
Introduction - Induction
Councillors attend their Council’s induction programme and are then assessed by us through a Reflective Review and Professional Discussion Interview. (We can also offer feedback gathered from the assessments on how effective the Councillors have found the Induction programme if required)
Intermediate – Managing Meetings and Public Speaking
Councillors build on their knowledge and experience through taking a leading role in public speaking and managing meetings. These skills are enhanced through attending learning events arranged by their Council or external organisations or through carrying out their role and are then assessed by us through observation and the delivery of a presentation
Advanced – Community Leadership Case Study
Councillors develop their skills and knowledge on a specific theme such as migration, sport, housing, health, social care through attending formal learning events arranged by their Council or external organisations and are then assessed by us through a case-study project.
For more information, click here or call Ann Collins on 01823 270101
South West Councils
South West Councils draws together local authority Leaders from the county, unitary and district councils in the South West, police, fire & rescue services, parish and town councils and the national parks.
South West Councils was established in its current form in April 2011. The first Chairman is Cllr Angus Campbell, Conservative Leader of Dorset County Council.
To view the full membership of South West Councils click here.
The core function of South West Councils, supported by a small team of officers working with local authority officers, is to
- Support member authorities as Employers, encouraging improved performance and capacity across the region through the provision of high quality HR advice and support, and sharing of accessible information and knowledge on a range of relevant issues.
- Assist member authorities and associate members to enhance capacity and service delivery through developmental activites for improved performance and efficiency.
- Support authorities in having a voice, built on consensus, of issues on national policy and funding working with national Local Government Group, when this is deemed appropriate by Members.
The full membership meets at least twice a year. There is also a Resource and Management Committee, which oversees day-to-day business and an Employers' Panel which acts as the Employers' side in joint work with Unions on Provincial Council.