Events & Training
We offer a range of support to equip Members and Officers with the knowledge and skills they need to meet the needs of their communities.
Training and Event schedule, click here...
Forthcoming events are:
- Sep 11, Mentoring/Coaching
- Sep 11, Coaching & Mentoring
- Sep 11, Introduction to Coaching
- Sep 11, Executive Coaching & Mentoring
- Sep 11, Developing an Eye for Accuracy
- Oct 2, South West Apprentice Challenge
- Oct 3, South West Challenge 2019
- Oct 8, The essentials of teachers' pay and conditions - what you need to know.
- Oct 16, Management of Volunteers
- Oct 17, Facilitation Skills
- Oct 28, Pension Administration
- Nov 19, Pension Managers' Conference
HR and Employment Services
South West Councils has extensive experience of providing employment support.
Our team of professionally qualified and experienced specialists offer high quality independent Employment Advice free to member organisations including:
- Terms and Conditions for local government staff and school staff including teachers
- Day to day problematic employee relations
We also provide consultancy (at discounted rates to member organisations) on:
- Recruitment and Workforce Development including suport via pyschometric testing and 360° appraisal
- Job Evaluation / Pay and Grading
- Disciplinary and Grievance Investigations
- Pre-Tribunal Conciliation
- Mediation and Conflict Resolution
- Conferences and Workshops
Our services are summarised in a leaflet which can be downloaded Leaflet.
Individual and Team Development
SW Councils can support individual and team development both through our training provision and through support from our experienced and qualified team in delivering a number of tools which can help raise self-awareness at individual, team and organisational level including:
South West Councils team, working with the GC Index® empowers organisations to drive performance and achieve innovation goals by transforming their approach to talent management.
SHL Occupational Personality Questionnaires (psychometric tests):
A personality questionnaire exploring behavioural preferences to provide organisations and individuals with a better understanding of their preferred way of working and identify how to develop new skills and enhance existing ones.
Three versions of the test are available designed to assess judgement in Graduates, Managers or Senior Executives. Scenarios measure an individual’s ability to weigh up real-life situations and decide on appropriate and effective ways of handling them. Their responses are compared with a set of ideal answers generated by experts – giving an assessment of their judgement.
SW Councils has access to different 360 assessment tools which can help individuals by gaining feedback from colleagues which enables a well-grounded understanding of how they work, how their strengths are perceived and how they can develop.
For other specialist suport and services contact HR@swcouncils.gov.uk or call 01823 270101