Events & Training
We offer a range of support to equip Members and Officers with the knowledge and skills they need to meet the needs of their communities.
Training and Event schedule, click here...
Forthcoming events are:
- Sep 11, Mentoring/Coaching
- Sep 11, Coaching & Mentoring
- Sep 11, Introduction to Coaching
- Sep 11, Executive Coaching & Mentoring
- Sep 11, Developing an Eye for Accuracy
- Oct 2, South West Apprentice Challenge
- Oct 3, South West Challenge 2019
- Oct 8, The essentials of teachers' pay and conditions - what you need to know.
- Oct 16, Management of Volunteers
- Oct 17, Facilitation Skills
- Oct 28, Pension Administration
- Nov 19, Pension Managers' Conference
HR and Employment Services
South West Councils has extensive experience of providing employment support.
Our team of professionally qualified and experienced specialists offer high quality independent Employment Advice free to member organisations including:
- Terms and Conditions for local government staff and school staff including teachers
- Day to day problematic employee relations
We also provide consultancy (at discounted rates to member organisations) on:
- Recruitment and Workforce Development including suport via pyschometric testing and 360° appraisal
- Job Evaluation / Pay and Grading
- Disciplinary and Grievance Investigations
- Pre-Tribunal Conciliation
- Mediation and Conflict Resolution
- Conferences and Workshops
Our services are summarised in a leaflet which can be downloaded Leaflet.
Learning and Development Services
Our team of professionally qualified and experienced specialists work jointly with you to meet your learning and development needs. we are always delivering new services so if you don't see what you are looking for, or want a discussion about your specific needs, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our provision of training and development is wide ranging and includes open courses, in-house training, professional qualifications, distance learning on some qualifications and fully customised leadership and management programmes designed to meet your specific organisational requirements. Our access to a diverse team of specialist trainers ensures we deliver high quality training and our experience in local government and supporting large, complex organisaitons will help you increase creativity, learning and knowledge.
|Apprenticeships and End-Point Assessment|
Apprenticeships provide an opportunity for people of all ages and backgrounds to fulfil their potential. Our approval as an End-Point Assessment Organisation demonstrates our commitment to supporting the development and provision of skills that employers need.
|Coaching and Mentoring|
Coaching empowers individuals, increases employee engagement and improves organisational performance. Our role in creating and maintaining the South West Coaching & Mentoring Pool enables us to support transformational change and improvement.
|Learning and Organisation Development|
Our consultancy service can support organisational change and culture shift through diagnostic profiling for individuals and teams, facilitation of team Away-Days, strategic L&D planning, skills audits, TNAs and the design and delivery of leadership & management development programmes
|Conferences, Events and Networks|
Our unique role and experience enables us to have a regional overview, identifying common development needs and supporting collaboration across organisations to design and source solutions. We support regional networks to share best practice for key roles and functions and we offer a range of annual and topical conferences and events.
|SW Charter for Member Developement|
The Charter for Member Development supports Councils to adopt a structured approach to Councillor development and support, and to building elected Member capacity. Our role as the regional assessors for the Charter helps authorities to enhance and improve member development activities which is essential for any council dedicated to meeting the needs of its community.