HR and Employment Services
South West Councils has extensive experience of providing both employment support and training opportunities .
Our team of professionally qualified and experienced specialists offer the following services:
- Employment Advice and Consultancy
- Recruitment and Staff Development
- Job Evaluation / Pay and Grading
- Disciplinary Investigations
- National Pay and Pensions Negotiations
- Conferences and Workshops
Our services are summarised in a leaflet which can be downloaded here
Education HR Advice
South West Councils have responded to a request from Local Government Employers (LGE) and has taken over the responsibility for answering enquiries and advice on School Teacher Pay and Terms and Conditions of Employment.
The Charter for Member Development has been developed by the nine Regional Employers Organisations in partnership with Local Government Improvement and Development (LGiD).
The Charter supports Councils to adopt a structured approach to councillor development and support, and to building elected Member capacity, which is essential for any council dedicated to meeting the needs of its community.
Community Leadership Awards have been designed specifically for Councillors and other Community Leaders:
For more information, click here or call 01823 270101
Cllr Harvey Siggs, Chair of the SW Councils Employers' Panel, was appointed Chair of the National Association of Regional Employers (NARE) at the NARE AGM on Thursday 24 October 2013. NARE includes Members and officers from each of the English regions, Northern Ireland and Wales. This provides a strong national voice to influence negotiations on pay, terms and conditions. It is also a useful platform for sharing information and collaborating with other regions.
For latest press release, click here...
Learning and Development Services
South West Councils is a long established training provider for local government
We design and deliver courses specifically to meet the needs of our member organisations and others.Our team of professionally qualified and experienced specialists offer the following learning and development opportunities.
Most of our events can be delivered on an in-house basis. We will deliver courses on your premises for your staff, or for groups from collaborating authorities. We can work with you to ensure that the content of a development package is tailored to your requirements and your learning objectives are met. Our Services are summarised in a leaflet which can be downloaded here
With coaching programmes featuring strongly in organisational strategies and change programmes, we have established the South West Coaching Pool to help organisations build internal coaching capacity and to enable managers to access coaches from other partner organisations with a range of different experience and expertise.
For more information click here.
Epaycheck: New National Pay Benchmarking Service
A secure pay benchmarking facility, developed for the public sector by the public sector. Launched to local authorities across the country in 2012, the service has already attracted more than half of our councils to register for this data sharing service.
Epaycheck is delivered through a nationwide network of Regional Employers' Organisations who provide the front end service in their localities and actively work with their users to collect, monitor and quality assure the data available to report against.
For more information on Epaycheck .....
SW Councils News
South West Councils News
The latest news and information from across local government in the region.
- LGA's 'Setting the Agenda Together' to come to the South West
- £5.3m for eleven seaside projects in the South West
- New public health advisory board for national-local issues
- £1.3m Better Bus Area funding for West of England partnership
- Dorset County Council's Pride Awards
- £1.3m transformational funding for six local authorities in the South West
- South West authorities stand together to stop child exploitation
- Government closes loophole on village green status
- Forthcoming Events
To read the latest newsletter click here...
For latest news, publications, press releases, click here...
Events & Training
We offer a range of support to equip Members and Officers with the knowledge and skills they need to meet the needs of their communities.
Training and Event schedule, click here...
Forthcoming events are:
- Dec 10, Contract Drafting & Supplier Relationship Management
- Dec 11, Committee Administration
- Dec 17, SW Coaching and Mentoring Pool: Group Supervision
- Jan 8, Executive Coaching & Mentoring
- Jan 9, Workforce Challenges
- Jan 14, SW Coaching and Mentoring Pool: Group Supervision
- Jan 20, Mediation and Conflict Resolution in the Workplace
- Jan 20, PRINCE 2 (Combined Foundation & Practitioner)
- Jan 21, Gypsy & Traveller Communities
- Jan 28, Legal Aspects & EU Procurement
- Jan 29, Coaching & Mentoring
- Feb 4, Elected Members Appeal training
- Feb 10, SW Coaching and Mentoring Pool: Group Supervision
- Mar 1, Introduction to Team Coaching
- Mar 3, Pension Administration
- Mar 4, Managing Unauthorised Encampments
- Mar 25, SW Coaching and Mentoring Pool: Group Supervision
Coaching Conferences and Events
The Annual Coaching Conference held on 9 July 2013 in Weston super Mare was very successful. 100% of participants evaluated the learning as having been good and comments included "excellent speakers and workshops" "thank you - a fabulous day!" "an inspiring demonstration for the power of coaching"
The third Annual Conference is being held on 16 July 2014 in Taunton - early booking discounts are available. For details of our coaching CPD click here (to take to a summary page of the events) or look at out list of forthcoming events.