HR and Employment Services
South West Councils has extensive experience of providing both employment support and training opportunities .
Our team of professionally qualified and experienced specialists offer the following services:
- Employment Advice and Consultancy
- Recruitment and Staff Development
- Job Evaluation / Pay and Grading
- Disciplinary Investigations
- National Pay and Pensions Negotiations
- Conferences and Workshops
Our services are summarised in a leaflet which can be downloaded here
Education HR Advice
South West Councils have responded to a request from Local Government Employers (LGE) and has taken over the responsibility for answering enquiries and advice on School Teacher Pay and Terms and Conditions of Employment.
Community Leadership Awards
Community Leadership Awards have been designed specifically for Councillors and other Community Leaders:
Introduction - Induction
Councillors attend their Council’s induction programme and are then assessed by us through a Reflective Review and Professional Discussion Interview. (We can also offer feedback gathered from the assessments on how effective the Councillors have found the Induction programme if required)
Intermediate – Managing Meetings and Public Speaking
Councillors build on their knowledge and experience through taking a leading role in public speaking and managing meetings. These skills are enhanced through attending learning events arranged by their Council or external organisations or through carrying out their role and are then assessed by us through observation and the delivery of a presentation
Advanced – Community Leadership Case Study
Councillors develop their skills and knowledge on a specific theme such as migration, sport, housing, health, social care through attending formal learning events arranged by their Council or external organisations and are then assessed by us through a case-study project.
For more information, click here or call Ann Collins on 01823 270101
Learning and Development Services
South West Councils is a long established training provider for local government
We design and deliver courses specifically to meet the needs of our member organisations and others.Our team of professionally qualified and experienced specialists offer the following learning and development opportunities.
Most of our events can be delivered on an in-house basis. We will deliver courses on your premises for your staff, or for groups from collaborating authorities. We can work with you to ensure that the content of a development package is tailored to your requirements and your learning objectives are met. Our Services are summarised in a leaflet which can be downloaded here
With coaching programmes featuring strongly in organisational strategies and change programmes, we have established the South West Coaching Pool to help organisations build internal coaching capacity and to enable managers to access coaches from other partner organisations with a range of different experience and expertise.
For more information click here.
Conference 2013: Using Coaching to Promote Positivity
A South West Coaching and Mentoring Pool Professional Development Event that provides
- the chance to hear from coaching experts
- workshops to help you develop your coaching skills
- network opportunities for mixing with others with similar interests
Philip Houghton, The Alexander Partnership
The Principles and Power of Coaching
Andy Hudson, Governor HM Prison Rochester
Models of Coaching for Complex organisations
Coral Ingleton, Kent Coaching and Mentoring Network
Karen McLoughlin, Senior Consultant, SHL
Helen Tiffany, Executive Coach and Head of Conferencing and Events Association of Coaching
Click here for further information on the workshop and how to book.
SW Councils News
South West Councils News
The latest news and information from across local government in the region.
- Forthcoming Events including the introduction of a HR Endorsed Programme
- Cornwall, Devon, Plymouth , Somerset and Torbay Councils rail initiative
- Wiltshire Councils welcomes investment from MoD
- Broadband expands into Forest of Dean
- Cornwall School Children get taste of firefighting
- Bristol Funding for School places
- Notable Changes
- Accolades and Prizes
To read the latest newsletter click here...
For latest news, publications, press releases, click here...
Events & Training
We offer a range of support to equip Members and Officers with the knowledge and skills they need to meet the needs of their communities.
Training and Event schedule, click here...
Forthcoming events are:
- Jun 25, Planning Committee Members
- Jul 1, Management of Accommodation for Gypsies & Travellers
- Jul 2, Chairing Meetings Effectively
- Jul 2, Speed Reading
- Jul 9, Conference 2013: Using Coaching to Promote Positivity
- Jul 11, Role of the Frontline Councillor
- Jul 11, Understanding Community Leadership
- Jul 22, Local Government Structure
- Jul 22, Political Awareness
- Sep 9, Management of Volunteers
- Sep 10, Coaching & Mentoring
- Sep 12, Resource and Talent Management
- Sep 17, Bringing Social Enterprise into Your Ward
- Sep 18, Introduction to Team Coaching
- Sep 19, Executive Coaching & Mentoring
- Sep 24, Corporate Manslaughter
- Sep 24, Bribery Act
Charter for Member Development
The Charter for Member Development has been developed by the nine Regional Employers Organisations in partnership with Local Government Association.
The Charter supports Councils to adopt a structured approach to councillor development and support, and to building elected Member capacity, which is essential for any council dedicated to meeting the needs of its community. For more information read here