HR and Employment Services
South West Councils has extensive experience of providing employment support.
Our team of professionally qualified and experienced specialists offer high quality independent Employment Advice free to member organisations including:
- Terms and Conditions for local government staff and school staff including teachers
- Day to day problematic employee relations
We also provide consultancy (at discounted rates to member organisations) on:
- Recruitment and Workforce Development including suport via pyschometric testing and 360° appraisal
- Job Evaluation / Pay and Grading
- Disciplinary and Grievance Investigations
- Pre-Tribunal Conciliation
- Mediation and Conflict Resolution
- Conferences and Workshops
Our services are summarised in a leaflet which can be downloaded here.
South West Councils: Working for the South West
South West Councils
Bringing together local authority Leaders from the County, Unitary and District councils in the South West.
Disclosure Barring Online Service
This Service provides a secure online environment with our partners NEREO, to provide a speedy, economical and high quality DBS service based on absolute accuracy and efficiency that will enhance your safeguarding process.
Online DBS enables organisations with a legitimate requirement to ask individuals to apply for disclosures, to gain access top this information quickly and efficiently.
The Charter for Member Development supports Councils to adopt a structured approach to councillor development and support, and to building elected Member capacity, which is essential for any council dedicated to meeting the needs of its community.
Community Leadership Awards have been designed specifically for Councillors and other Community Leaders:
For more information, click here or call 01823 270101
Annual PA and Executive Assistants Conference 2014
7 October 2014
The Holiday Inn, Taunton
Follow us on @swcouncils for updates about our 2014 Conference
Booking now email us
Don't forget the very popular
SW Coaching and Mentoring Conference 2014
16 July 2014
The Holiday Inn, Taunton
This is nearly fully booked so don't miss your place. Pool coaches, you must book.
For latest press release, click here...
Learning and Development Services
South West Councils is a long established training provider for local government
Our team of professionally qualified and experienced specialists offer the following learning and development opportunities but we are always interested in developing new products or tailoring content to meet our customers' requirments and your learning objectives. Please contact us here.
Most of our events can be delivered on an in-house basis. We will deliver courses on your premises for your staff, or for groups from collaborating organisations. Our Services are summarised in a leaflet which can be downloaded here.
With coaching programmes featuring strongly in organisational strategies and change programmes, we have qualified and experienced coaches, who can provide individual coaching packages but we have also established the South West Coaching Pool to help organisations build internal coaching capacity and to enable managers to access coaches from other partner organisations with a range of different experience and expertise.
For more information click here.
Coaching Conferences and Events
The Annual Coaching Conference held on 9 July 2013 in Weston super Mare was very successful. 100% of participants evaluated the learning as having been good and comments included "excellent speakers and workshops" "thank you - a fabulous day!" "an inspiring demonstration for the power of coaching"
SW Councils News
South West Councils News
The latest news and information from across local government in the region.
- LGA's 'Setting the Agenda Together' to come to the South West
- £5.3m for eleven seaside projects in the South West
- New public health advisory board for national-local issues
- £1.3m Better Bus Area funding for West of England partnership
- Dorset County Council's Pride Awards
- £1.3m transformational funding for six local authorities in the South West
- South West authorities stand together to stop child exploitation
- Government closes loophole on village green status
- Forthcoming Events
To read the latest newsletter click here...
For latest news, publications, press releases, click here...
Events & Training
We offer a range of support to equip Members and Officers with the knowledge and skills they need to meet the needs of their communities.
Training and Event schedule, click here...
Forthcoming events are:
- May 7, Job Evaluation - NJC Scheme
- May 8, SW Coaching and Mentoring Pool: Group Supervision
- May 20, Mediation and Conflict Resolution in the Workplace
- Jun 2, Job Evaluation - GLPC Scheme
- Jun 5, Coaching: Return on Investment Workshop
- Jun 5, SW Coaching and Mentoring Pool: Group Supervision
- Jun 5, Return on Investment Awareness
- Jun 10, Planning Committees
- Jun 11, Executive Coaching & Mentoring
- Jun 23, Coaching & Mentoring
- Jun 25, Introduction to Coaching
- Jul 1, Elected Members Appeal training
- Jul 8, Gypsy & Traveller Communities
- Jul 8, Professional Award in Management of Accommodation for Gypsies & Travellers
- Jul 11, Local Government Structure
- Jul 11, Political Awareness
- Jul 16, South West Coaching and Mentoring Conference 2014: Positive Skill Development for Future Impact
Epaycheck: New National Pay Benchmarking Service
A secure pay benchmarking facility, developed for the public sector by the public sector. Launched to local authorities across the country in 2012, the service has already attracted more than half of our councils to register for this data sharing service.
Epaycheck is delivered through a nationwide network of Regional Employers' Organisations who provide the front end service in their localities and actively work with their users to collect, monitor and quality assure the data available to report against.
For more information on Epaycheck .....