HR and Employment Services
South West Councils has extensive experience of providing employment support.
Our team of professionally qualified and experienced specialists offer high quality independent Employment Advice free to member organisations including:
- Terms and Conditions for local government staff and school staff including teachers
- Day to day problematic employee relations
We also provide consultancy (at discounted rates to member organisations) on:
- Recruitment and Workforce Development including suport via pyschometric testing and 360° appraisal
- Job Evaluation / Pay and Grading
- Disciplinary and Grievance Investigations
- Pre-Tribunal Conciliation
- Mediation and Conflict Resolution
- Conferences and Workshops
Our services are summarised in a leaflet which can be downloaded here.
South West Councils: Working for the South West
South West Councils
Bringing together local authority Leaders from the County, Unitary and District councils in the South West.
Epaycheck: National Pay Benchmarking Service
A secure pay benchmarking facility, developed for the public sector by the public sector. Launched to local authorities across the country in 2012, the service has already attracted more than half of our councils to register for this data sharing service.
Epaycheck is delivered through a nationwide network of Regional Employers' Organisations who provide the front end service in their localities and actively work with their users to collect, monitor and quality assure the data available to report against.
For more information on Epaycheck .....
Disclosure Barring Online Service
This Service provides a secure online environment with our partners NEREO, to provide a speedy, economical and high quality DBS service based on absolute accuracy and efficiency that will enhance your safeguarding process.
Online DBS enables organisations with a legitimate requirement to ask individuals to apply for disclosures, to gain access top this information quickly and efficiently.
Learning and Development Services
South West Councils is a long established training provider for local government
Our team of professionally qualified and experienced specialists offer the following learning and development opportunities but we are always interested in developing new products or tailoring content to meet our customers' requirments and your learning objectives. Please contact us here.
Most of our events can be delivered on an in-house basis. We will deliver courses on your premises for your staff, or for groups from collaborating organisations. Our Services are summarised in a leaflet which can be downloaded here.
The Charter for Member Development supports Councils to adopt a structured approach to councillor development and support, and to building elected Member capacity, which is essential for any council dedicated to meeting the needs of its community.
Community Leadership Awards have been designed specifically for Councillors and other Community Leaders:
For more information, click here or call 01823 270101
Looking for a town centre location for a meeting?
Meeting rooms at Dennett House are now available to hire.
Hire includes some free Car Parking and tea and coffee refreshments. Lunch is available on request.
To find out more click here.
South West Councils News
The latest news and information from across local government in the region.
Leadership Master Class - Building Creative Relationships
31 March 2015
The Holiday Inn, Taunton
Booking now email us
South West Workplace Mediation and Conflict Resolution Conference 2015
11 March 2015
The Holiday Inn, Taunton
In partnership with the Local Government Association and South East Employers
Follow us on @swcouncils for updates about the Conference.
Booking now email us
For latest press release, click here...View latest Newsletter here
Events & Training
We offer a range of support to equip Members and Officers with the knowledge and skills they need to meet the needs of their communities.
Training and Event schedule, click here...
Forthcoming events are:
- Feb 4, SW Coaching and Mentoring Pool: Group Supervision
- Feb 12, New Shared Parental Leave Rules and other Family Friendly Policy Changes
- Feb 27, Masterclass: Courage in Leadership
- Mar 3, Managing Unauthorised Encampments
- Mar 11, South West Workplace Mediation and Conflict Resolution Conference 2015
- Mar 25, SW Coaching and Mentoring Pool: Group Supervision
- Mar 31, Masterclass: Building Creative Relationships
- May 18, Management of Volunteers
- Jun 2, Job Evaluation - GLPC Scheme
- Jun 15, Action Learning Facilitator
- Jun 19, Essential Skills for the 21st Century Councillor
- Jun 22, SW Coaching and Mentoring Pool: Group Supervision
- Jul 9, South West Coaching and Mentoring Conference 2015
- Jul 11, Local Government Structure
- Jul 11, Political Awareness
- Sep 10, Welfare Reform
- Sep 15, Mentoring/Coaching
- Sep 15, Coaching & Mentoring
- Sep 15, Introduction to Coaching
- Sep 15, Executive Coaching & Mentoring
- Sep 23, Facilitation Skills
- Oct 6, Annual PA and Executive Assistants Conference 2015 - Bournemouth
- Oct 13, Annual PA and Executive Assistants Conference 2015 - Taunton
- Nov 17, Pension Managers' Conference
- Jan 20, Managing Traveller Sites