HR and Employment Services
South West Councils has extensive experience of providing employment support.
Our team of professionally qualified and experienced specialists offer high quality independent Employment Advice free to member organisations including:
- Terms and Conditions for local government staff and school staff including teachers
- Day to day problematic employee relations
We also provide consultancy (at discounted rates to member organisations) on:
- Recruitment and Workforce Development including suport via pyschometric testing and 360° appraisal
- Job Evaluation / Pay and Grading
- Disciplinary and Grievance Investigations
- Pre-Tribunal Conciliation
- Mediation and Conflict Resolution
- Conferences and Workshops
Our services are summarised in a leaflet which can be downloaded Leaflet.
Epaycheck: National Pay Benchmarking Service
A secure pay benchmarking facility, developed for the public sector by the public sector. Launched to local authorities across the country in 2012, the service has already attracted more than half of our councils to register for this data sharing service.
Epaycheck is delivered through a nationwide network of Regional Employers' Organisations who provide the front end service in their localities and actively work with their users to collect, monitor and quality assure the data available to report against.
Senior Pay Executive Summary
The executive summary of a review of chief executive and chief officer roles, released on 4th September, is available on our website. The full report to assist in decision-making, benchmarking, policy development and workforce planning will be available to Epaycheck subscribers shortly.
For more information on Epaycheck .....
Disclosure Barring Online Service
This Service provides a secure online environment with our partners NEREO, to provide a speedy, economical and high quality DBS service based on absolute accuracy and efficiency that will enhance your safeguarding process.
Online DBS enables organisations with a legitimate requirement to ask individuals to apply for disclosures, to gain access top this information quickly and efficiently.
Learning and Development Services
South West Councils is a long established training provider for local government
Our team of professionally qualified and experienced specialists offer the following learning and development opportunities but we are always interested in developing new products or tailoring content to meet our customers' requirments and your learning objectives. Please contact us here.
Most of our events can be delivered on an in-house basis. We will deliver courses on your premises for your staff, or for groups from collaborating organisations. Our Services are summarised in a leaflet which can be downloaded here.
The Charter for Member Development supports Councils to adopt a structured approach to councillor development and support, and to building elected Member capacity, which is essential for any council dedicated to meeting the needs of its community.
Community Leadership Awards have been designed specifically for Councillors and other Community Leaders:
For more information, click here or call 01823 270101
Looking for a town centre location for a meeting?
Meeting rooms at Dennett House are now available to hire.
Hire includes some free Car Parking and tea and coffee refreshments. Lunch is available on request.
To find out more click here.
Are you ready for a Challenge?
6 October 2016 - Holiday Inn, Taunton
The Local Authority Challenge offers a rare opportunity for aspiring managers across the South West to gain exposure to issues outside of their normal working lives and gives them a taste of what senior management is like.
Save the date
9th February 2017, PA and Executive Assistant Conference, Taunton Racecourse.
South West Councils News
The latest news and information from across local government in the region.
For latest press release, click here...View latest Newsletter here
SW Councils' Blog
Training opportunities for colleagues in the South West who work with Gypsies and Travellers
We run regular training days for colleagues whose work brings them into contact with Gypsy and Traveller communities across the South West. This could be anyone from a Gypsy and Traveller Liaison Officer to an Education, Housing or Health professional.
South West Councils Blog
Events & Training
We offer a range of support to equip Members and Officers with the knowledge and skills they need to meet the needs of their communities.
Training and Event schedule, click here...
Forthcoming events are:
- Sep 14, SW Coaching and Mentoring Pool: Group Supervision
- Sep 15, SW Coaching and Mentoring Pool: Group Supervision
- Sep 27, Job Evaluation - NJC Scheme
- Sep 27, Career Transition Workshop
- Oct 5, SW Coaching and Mentoring Pool: Group Supervision
- Oct 6, Local Authority Challenge 2016
- Oct 7, SW Coaching and Mentoring Pool: Group Supervision
- Oct 11, DCATS Agriculture Practical and Oral Preparation Day (Trading Standards Institute)
- Oct 12, DCATS Food Standards Practical and Oral Preparation Day (Trading Standards Institute)
- Oct 20, SW Coaching and Mentoring Pool: Group Supervision
- Nov 1, Professional Award in Management of Accommodation for Gypsies & Travellers
- Nov 1, Action Learning Facilitator
- Nov 1, Travellers, Sites and Unauthorised Encampments
- Nov 10, Coaching Master Classes Day
- Nov 17, SW Coaching and Mentoring Pool: Group Supervision
- Nov 22, Pension Managers' Conference
- Nov 23, Facilitation Skills
- Nov 24, SW Coaching and Mentoring Pool: Group Supervision
- Dec 15, SW Coaching and Mentoring Pool: Group Supervision
- Jan 13, SW Coaching and Mentoring Pool: Group Supervision